If you’ve been searching for an awesome sweet potato casserole recipe, you’ve found it! This sweet potato casserole recipe is a favorite at our table anytime of year, but especially at Thanksgiving. Once you give this recipe a try, you’ll look no further.
The crumbly pecan, brown sugar and butter topping make it so good, that it almost qualifies as a dessert.
The casserole can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to two days prior to baking. I don’t recommend freezing it though, as that seems to change the texture of the potatoes. The leftovers heat wonderfully in the microwave.
I love sweet potatoes just about any way that they can be prepared. I grew up eating plain old baked sweet potatoes with lots of salt and butter and it’s still a favorite way of mine to enjoy them. Believe it or not, leftover baked sweet potatoes are good cold and peeled, straight from the refrigerator. Sweet potatoes have so much natural sweetness, they’re even good plain.
I’ve been making this recipe for years and it is everyone’s favorite, hands-down. It is one of my most requested recipes. I’m happy to finally be able to share it with you!
- 3 - 20 oz cans precooked sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 stick butter, softened, (do not substitute margarine)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup canned evaporated milk
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 stick butter, melted, do not substitute margarine
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, mix mashed sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, eggs, softened butter, vanilla and evaporated milk together. Can be mixed with a mixer on low to medium speed or by hand.
- Place mixture into a 9 x 13 un-greased casserole dish.
- Prepare topping by mixing brown sugar, flour, melted butter and nuts with a fork in a separate bowl.
- Sprinkle topping over casserole, making sure to entirely cover the casserole.
- Bake at 350 fahrenheit for 35 - 40 minutes
- Can be prepared ahead and refrigerated (unbaked) for up to two days.
- Do not double.
SAVE IT FOR LATER!
Sharing at THESE great parties.