My friends, this is comfort food at its finest. This easy to prepare, one dish recipe is sure to please your family and friends.
The plump dumplings alone will get you going back for seconds.
I add veggies to my chicken and dumplings that makes it more like a stew. No need to fix additional sides with this meal. Don’t worry – I keep it easy by using canned vegetables.
Chicken and Dumplings Stew
- 2 cups all-purpose baking mix I use Bisquick
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken I use 3 - 4 boneless breasts
- 6 cups chicken broth Reserve the broth from cooking the chicken. May add ready made broth if more is needed.
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 15 oz can petite green peas drained
- 1 14.5 oz can sliced carrots drained
Prepare the dumplings by stirring the first four ingredients together until moistened. The mixture will be lumpy. Set aside.
Bring the cooked chicken and next six ingredients to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Reduce the heat to low and drop the dumpling dough by tablespoon fulls into the simmering mixture. Cover and cook, stirring once, for 15 minutes. Uncover and cook 10 minutes more or until the dumplings are done.
Don’t wait for the weekend. This recipe is easy enough to prepare any day of the week or make it ahead to reheat and serve at the end of a long day.
Click HERE to see all of the awesome places where I party.