I love chili and am always excited when there’s finally just enough of a nip in the air to make a batch!
And it sure seems like everyone that I know has their own special (usually secret) recipe that has been handed down from generation to generation. 😀
Well, I too have a recipe that I’ve been making for generations – okay, maybe just my one generation – but I’m here today to share it with all of you.
I started using this recipe back in my days of working fulltime, when I would come home exhausted and just wanted to get something quick, tasty and nutritious on the table. Now that I’m no longer working away from home, I make it just because we all love it! It is my family’s favorite chili recipe, hands down.
Thirty Minute Chili
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 green pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 - 1.25 oz. package dry chili seasoning mix
- 2 - 14.5 oz. cans stewed tomatoes undrained
- 1 - 15 oz can pinto beans undrained, fat removed
- Combine ground beef, onion and green pepper and cook over medium to medium-low heat until the beef is browned and the onion and green pepper are tender.
- Drain the grease from the cooked beef mixture and return the mixture to the pot.
- Stir in the entire contents of the dry chili seasoning mix.
- Add the stewed tomatoes and pinto beans.
- Stir together and heat thoroughly.
I use one pot for cooking the meat and making the chili.
I recommend cutting the stewed tomatoes into smaller pieces prior to heating the chili.
Kidney beans can be substituted for pinto beans.
Raw onions, green onions, sour cream and grated cheese all make great toppings.
It is a hearty meal all on its own, but gets knocked out of the park when paired with some yummy cornbread. The perfect recipe is below.
This cornbread is the perfect accompaniment to chili! Click on the highlighted link to get the recipe.