My friends, if you love pumpkin, this is a recipe that you’ll definitely want to add to your fall, Thanksgiving and Christmas recipe list. This Simply Superb Pumpkin Bread is the bomb! The recipe originated from a family friend and I’ve been making it for years.
It’s excellent served warm or cold and is a totally yummy treat to accompany a cup of your favorite hot beverage. Try serving a slice with a dollop of soft cream cheese or a bit of butter spread on it. Delicious!
Superb Pumpkin Bread
- 2/3 cup shortening I use Crisco
- 2 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 - 1 lb can pumpkin - not pumpkin pie filling
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 1/3 cups all purpose flour do not sift
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped nuts of your choice - optional
- 2/3 cup raisins - optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease two 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pans or three 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 loaf pans.
- Mix shortening and sugar in a large bowl until fluffy. DO NOT use a mixer.
- Stir in eggs, pumpkin and water.
- Blend in flour, soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and cloves.
- Stir in nuts and raisins.
- Pour into pans, dividing mixture evenly.
- Bake for 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Optional recipe additions: raisins, nuts, chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds
Optional toppings: additional nuts, powdered sugar, pumpkin seeds
Optional spreads: softened cream cheese, butter
Take a look at how moist and delicious this looks! it’s the perfect dessert, snack or appetizer and makes a great take-along dish to any gathering. Your friends and family with thank you, I promise.
Sharing at THESE great parties.