I’ve been making this breakfast pie casserole for years and it’s always a huge hit with friends and family! This is my go-to breakfast recipe when I want something more than just a bowl of cereal.
The recipe makes two pies, so it’s perfect for feeding a crowd! If I don’t have a crowd to feed, I bake both pies, but freeze one of them for later. Leftovers can be refrigerated and popped into the microwave when you’re ready for another serving.
I traditionally make this recipe for Christmas morning breakfast with my family. Since individual servings reheat so well in the microwave, everyone can just eat when they’re ready. I recommend covering what you’re reheating with a slightly damppaper towel. Sounds crazy, but that prevents the crust from drying out and becoming chewy.
Yummy Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 3 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups light cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 uncooked pie shells
- Place and arrange a pie shell in each pie dish. Set aside.
- Crumble sausage and cook until completely done. Drain cooked sausage on a paper towel.
- Allow the sausage to cool a little and mix with the shredded swiss cheese.
- Place half of the sausage and cheese mixture into the bottom of each pie shell and spread around evenly.
- Lightly beat all of the eggs.
- Combine remaining ingredients together and add to the beaten eggs.
- Pour half of the mixture into each shell, over the sausage. Do not stir. The sausage may float to the top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes, until firm in the middle of the pie.
- Cool on a baking rack.
Can freeze after baking and warm in the microwave.
If you’re attending a potluck brunch, I’ve got ya covered! Once baked, this breakfast casserole will travel well and can easily be reheated. If you’re going to reheat an entire casserole pie in the oven, I would slightly under-bake it, so that the eggs are still “wet”, but not runny. Then cover the casserole with a piece of tin foil and reheat at 350 F degrees until hot.
I’ve tried lots of different breakfast casserole recipes, but none of them were as tasty and as perfect for preparing ahead and this one. Give it a try and let me know what you think!