This easy sweet potato casserole recipe is a must-have at our Thanksgiving and Christmas table every year!
The incredible topping, that is filled with pecans and brown sugar, creates a delicious masterpiece that will quickly become the most requested recipe at your table!
Our Thanksgiving and holiday dinners are always filled with our favorite dishes. In fact, we have the same menu each year. Under strict orders, from my family, I’m allowed to add dishes to our menu, but I am not allowed to take anything away! 😀
It’s A Dessert-Like Side Dish
The crumbly pecan, brown sugar and butter topping for this sweet potato casserole make it so good, that it almost qualifies as a dessert. It’s the perfect accompaniment to the other savory dishes that will be a part of your meal.
It’s a side dish that is perfect for Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas or any holiday meal, but is simple enough to serve for Sunday supper too!
It Can Be Made Ahead
This recipe for sweet casserole can be prepared ahead and refrigerated for up to two days prior to baking. If you do refrigerate it before baking, I suggest removing it from the fridge 30 – 45 minutes before placing it in your preheated oven.
I don’t recommend freezing it though, as that seems to change the texture of the potatoes. The leftovers heat wonderfully in the microwave.
You’ll Love The Convenience
Not only is this the most delicious sweet potato casserole that I’ve ever had, the use of canned sweet potatoes in the recipe makes it super easy to prepare. No need to cook potatoes ahead of time!
This recipe will fill a 9 x 13 size casserole dish and will feed at least 8 people, but you can easily double the recipe and split it between two casserole dishes.
Since this reheats in the microwave so well, I always make an extra casserole to have as leftovers.
I love sweet potatoes just about any way that they can be prepared. I grew up eating plain old baked sweet potatoes with lots of salt and butter and it’s still a favorite way of mine to enjoy them. Believe it or not, leftover baked sweet potatoes are good cold and peeled, straight from the refrigerator. Sweet potatoes have so much natural sweetness, they’re even good plain.
I’ve been making this recipe for years and it is everyone’s favorite, hands-down. It is one of my most requested recipes. I’m happy to finally be able to share it with you!
The World's Best Sweet Potato Casserole
For the casserole
- 3 - 20 oz cans precooked sweet potatoes drained and mashed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 stick butter softened, (do not substitute margarine)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup canned evaporated milk
For the topping
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 stick butter melted, do not substitute margarine
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, mix mashed sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, eggs, softened butter, vanilla and evaporated milk together. Can be mixed with a mixer on low to medium speed or by hand.
- Place mixture into a 9 x 13 un-greased casserole dish.
- Prepare topping by mixing brown sugar, flour, melted butter and nuts with a fork in a separate bowl.
- Sprinkle topping over casserole, making sure to entirely cover the casserole.
- Bake at 350 fahrenheit for 35 - 40 minutes
Can be prepared ahead and refrigerated (unbaked) for up to two days.
Do not double.
This Sweet Potato Casserole is perfect for any special occasion yet is so easy – you will want to serve it all the time!