Raise your hand if you can tell me what is synonymous with fall. Well, besides the awesome cooler temps and beautiful fall foliage. I’m talking apples, y’all. I love ’em and now’s the best time of year to enjoy them!
While it isn’t officially fall yet, it is September 1st and that means fall to me! So to celebrate fall’s arrival and the start of apple season, I’m sharing the hands down best baked apple recipe that I’ve ever eaten. And on a side note, if you’ve never tried Honeycrisp apples, you are definitely missing out. They’re a bit more expensive that other apple varieties, but oh let me tell you – they are so, so worth it. They’re everything that their name implies – sweet and crisp!
For some strange reason, I always shied away from making baked apples. I can only guess that they sounded too complicated to mess with. Well, they aren’t – at least this recipe isn’t! I’m sorry that I waited so long to give them a try.
- 4 - Honeycrisp apples
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 tblsp butter
- creamy caramel sauce (optional)
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Slice approximately 1/3 off of the top of the apples and scoop out the core, leaving a well in the center.
- In a bowl, mix brown sugar, cinnamon, cranberries and walnuts (using a spoon or fork) until blended.
- Stuff each apple with 1/4 of brown sugar mixture.
- Place apples in a deep baking dish, topping each apple with 1 tblsp butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Pour about 1/2" of water into the baking pan, around the apples, and bake for 50 - 60 minutes, until apples are tender.
- Serve warm, topped with caramel sauce drizzled on top of each apple, if desired.
- Also excellent served with vanilla or butter pecan ice cream.
- Keep an eye on the water level when baking. Add more water, if needed, to prevent the apples from drying out.
For a decadent dessert, add a dollop of your favorite ice cream. Oh my goodness, YUM!
IF YOU’RE LOOKING FORWARD TO APPLE SEASON THIS FALL, PIN IT FOR LATER!
Sharing at THESE great parties