Are you looking to add fresh appeal, character and personality to your home? Abstract art could be just what you need. Its use of colors, unique textures, and expressive forms make it a versatile way to add interest. Bonus – it fits in with any style of home decor!
If you’re new to the world of this form of art, it can be hard to know where to start. In this blog post, we’ll explore some tips and tricks for adding abstract art to your home, from selecting the right pieces to showcasing them in a way that enhances your decor.
Whether you’re a seasoned art collector or just looking to dip your toes in, read on for some inspiration and ideas to bring abstract art into your living space.
Look for a shopping guide at the end for some of my favorite (very affordable!) pieces that I’ve found online.
What is abstract art?
Abstract art is a style of art that does not attempt to represent realistic or recognizable images from the physical world. Instead, it emphasizes shapes, colors, forms, and textures to create a visual language that evokes emotions, ideas, and concepts.
There are two types of abstract art:
- Free form – which means the image is made up of random shapes
- Semi-abstract – meaning that it contains recognizable forms or scenery but has been simplified or distorted in some way.
How should I hang art on the wall?
This might seem like a redundant question, but there really are some general guidelines to follow when hanging art on a wall.
These apply to hanging a single piece of art. Scroll down a bit to see a few guidelines for including abstract art on a gallery wall.
- Height: The ideal height for hanging art is at eye level, which is generally considered to be around 57 inches from the floor to the center of the artwork. However, this can vary depending on the height of the ceiling and the size and location of the artwork.
- Placement: Consider the room and the wall when deciding where to hang your art. For example, if the wall is near a piece of furniture, the art should be hung at a height that complements the furniture.
- Hardware: Be sure to use appropriate hardware for the weight of the artwork. Heavy artwork should be hung on a stud or with an anchor, while lighter pieces can be hung with picture-hanging hooks or adhesive strips.
Remember, there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to hanging art. These are just guidelines to use as a starting point. Adjust as needed to create a display that is visually appealing and fits your personal style.
Why is abstract art so popular?
Beauty in anything is always in the eye of the beholder. Abstract art may not appeal to you, but I have watched it gain in popularity. I believe that’s for a number of good reasons:
- It allows for personal interpretation: Abstract art is often devoid of recognizable objects or figures. It allows the viewer to interpret the work in their own way and can make the art more meaningful and relevant to the observer.
- It can evoke emotion: Abstract art often uses color, texture, and composition to create an emotional response in the viewer, which can make it more memorable and impactful.
- It is aesthetically pleasing: Many people find abstract art visually pleasing, either because of the colors used or the way the shapes and lines are arranged.
- It can challenge traditional notions of art: Abstract art can challenge traditional ideas about what art should be or look like.
What makes good abstract art?
Abstract art is a form of art that does not aim to represent recognizable objects or figures. Instead, it relies on shapes, colors, textures, and other visual elements to convey a message or an emotion. Here are some factors that contribute to making good abstract art:
- Composition: A well-composed abstract artwork should have a sense of balance, harmony, and rhythm. The elements in the artwork should be arranged in a way that creates a pleasing and unified whole.
- Color: Color plays a significant role in abstract art. A good abstract artwork should have a thoughtful and deliberate color scheme that contributes to the overall mood and atmosphere of the piece.
- Texture: Texture can add depth and dimension to abstract art. An artist can create texture by applying thick layers of paint or by using unconventional materials.
- Expression: Abstract art is often used to express emotions or convey a message. A good abstract artwork should have a clear and powerful message that is communicated through the visual elements.
- Originality: Abstract art should be original and not derivative of other works. A good abstract artist should strive to create unique and innovative pieces that push the boundaries of the art form.
How do I add abstract art to my decor?
Mixing abstract art with your existing decor can add a fresh and unique touch to your space. Here are some tips to help you achieve a cohesive and harmonious look:
- Consider the color scheme: Look for abstract art pieces that feature colors that complement or contrast with the colors in your existing decor. This will help the art blend seamlessly into the space.
- Size and Scale: Think about the size and scale of the abstract art piece you want to add to your existing decor. Make sure it is proportionate to the size of the room and the other decor elements.
- Placement: Choose a prominent spot in your room to display your abstract art. Consider the scale of the artwork and where it would fit best in the space. You can hang it on a blank wall, over a mantle, or above a piece of furniture.
- Balance: Make sure to balance the abstract art with other decor elements in the room. Use similar colors, textures, and materials to create a cohesive look.
- Experiment: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different combinations of abstract art and decor. You can always try out different arrangements until you find one that works for you.
By following these tips, you can easily mix abstract art with your existing decor and create a beautiful and harmonious space.
Can I use abstract art in a gallery wall?
Creating a gallery wall with abstract art can be a fun and creative way to add personality and style to your home. Here are some steps to help you get started:
Groupings: If you are hanging a grouping of artwork, arrange them on the floor first to get an idea of the layout. Start with the largest piece in the center and work your way out.
Spacing: Leave some space between each piece of art to create visual balance. The amount of space will depend on the size of the artwork and the layout.
- Choose your wall: Decide which wall in your home you want to use for your gallery wall. Consider the size and location of the wall, as well as the lighting in the room.
- Choose your artwork: Look for abstract art pieces that speak to you and fit with the color scheme and style of your room. You can choose a mix of sizes and styles to create a visually interesting display.
- Lay out your design: Before hanging anything, lay out your artwork on the floor or a large table to experiment with different arrangements. Play with the spacing and positioning of each piece until you find a layout that you like.
- Hang your artwork: Use a tape measure and a level to ensure that each piece is hung at the correct height and is level with the other pieces. Use picture hanging hooks or adhesive strips to hang your artwork.
- Add finishing touches: Consider adding other decorative elements, such as plants or small sculptures, to enhance the overall look of your gallery wall.
Remember, the key to creating a successful gallery wall is to have fun and let your creativity guide you!
I spent some time shopping the web for a few affordable pieces of abstract art that I love. Some are canvases that are ready to hang, others are prints that you can frame yourself. I personally own several of these!