Are you wondering when it’s okay to put out your fall decor? It’s really a personal choice. This handy timeline will ease you into the process and make it much more enjoyable!
If you spend any time at all on social media, this is the time of year that you’ll likely start hearing chatter about when it’s okay to decorate for fall. In case you haven’t noticed, there are some very strong personal opinions out there!
There’s a part of me that wants to jump in and say, “settle down people!”. When to put out your seasonal fall decor is strictly a matter of personal choice. There are those of us that decorate early and those of us who prefer to wait until fall officially arrives in September. Neither opinion is right or wrong – do whatever makes YOU happy.
Fall Room Decor
As for me, I’m in the camp of starting the fall decorating process early. In fact, I’ve already decorated my mantel with DIY fall decor and stripped the summer decor out of the rest of the house. This photo was shot with my phone and isn’t the greatest, but here’s a little sneak peak that will give you an idea of the autumn color palette I’m using this year.
I’m changing things up a bit with my fall decorations this year. I’m doing my best to give more of a subtle nod to the season by using organic muted tones of fall colors. I’m also backing away from how many fall decorations I put out by strategically placing just a few prominent fall touches throughout my home. This creates a very cozy fall atmosphere!
If you’re like me, this is the time of year when things seem to pick up and our time becomes more limited, so it can be a real struggle to find time to do any decorating.
Fall Decorating Timeline
Since I know that switching your decor from season to season can seem daunting, I’ve put together a super helpful fall decorating timeline that you can print for free!
The fall decorating timeline is broken into 4 weeks with weekly doable assignments. It’s designed to start whenever you like and will help you ease into the fall season so that when you reach the end, all your decorations will be in place and you won’t feel stressed out! Start the timeline whenever you like.
- Now is the time to put away all things summer – pillows, florals, summer centerpieces, throws and any other summer tchotchkes.
- Create a blank slate so that you can create ideas on how you’d like to decorate for fall this year.
- Review what you already have in your fall stash.
- Shop for any decor items you may need to bring your DIY fall decor to life.
- Start easing into the season by displaying seasonal fruit.
- Go ahead and add seasonal accent pillows.
- Add cozy linens to your bedroom.
- Prep your fireplace in anticipation of those inviting cozy fall nights.
- Take a nature walk to collect natural elements like pine cones and acorns.
- Make a new DIY fall wreath or other fall homemade craft.
- Mood starter – burn your favorite scented fall candles.
- Purchase real pumpkins and gourds.
- Seek out pretty chrysanthemums and other gorgeous seasonal plants.
- Decorate your front entry with fall decor.
- Create a fall vignette for your fireplace mantel.
- Switch out your dishware and table linens.
- Mood starters – visit the farmer’s market, make a pot of homemade soup.
- Create a simple fall vignette for your coffee table and other occasional tables.
- Add warm and cozy throws in autumn colors.
- Create a foraged display using items you collected on your nature walk.
- Put together an irresistible hot cocoa bar.
- Mood starters – make baked apples (get my World’s Best Baked Honeybaked Apples recipe HERE), roast marshmallows.
- Enjoy your stress-free fall decor!